Tuesday, November 10, 2009

My Good and Faithful Servant - I am Disappointed by Naiomi Pitre


"You just don't get it, do You?" He smirked and sneered at me.

"I don't understand," I said, "What is it that you wanted me to be?"
Standing at the foot of the throne, seeing Jesus at God's right hand,
I was confused, mad, distraught - I've always done whatever I can
I gave to the poor, I went to church, faithfully every Sunday
I took communion, I prayed every night, I always watch whatever I say
I never listened to rap music, or other offerings from the world
I adamantly voiced my dismay when I would see a boy loving another boy or a girl loving another girl
I read my Bible religiously, and I scolded those who didn't
I watched people who were disobeying your Word, and I told them that they shouldn't
I served on the usher board, the choir, and I was church secretary
I saved myself and never even kissed until I was safely married
So how could it be, that He was looking at me, with such contempt in His Holy eyes
How could it be, that He was shaking his head at me, now that I have died?

"You just don't get it, silly girl." He laughed, shrugging his tremendous shoulders
"If only You'd been more adventurous, more daring, a little bolder -
If You'd taken what I've given You, and did what You should have
Maybe You would have a better report at the end of Your life, and You wouldn't feel so bad."

"What more could I have done?!" I cried out, "You expect too much!"

"Hush, You stupid little child, and REALLY try to listen to me for once.
I gave You opportunity to live, but instead You turned up Your nose
I wanted You to experience the world, but instead in the church doors You dove
I brought people to You, for You to love and care about
But as soon as You saw one flaw in their personality, Your mind filled with self-righteous doubt
I put a talent within You to write, but instead You kept it all inside
The beautiful, sensual words I gave You, You were ashamed and wanted to hide
I yearned for You to travel to great lands and learn about my people there
But because they didn't believe as You did, You decided that You'd be too scared
Wonderful things, I tried to show You, but Your holiness kept You away
You never challenged Yourself to think outside of the box, afraid that from Your religion You'd stray
Fear does not impress me, I'm not moved by Your blind obedience
You judged people, You hurt people, You were a stumbling block, and You DARED to use me as Your defense!
How dare You find the nerve to step to me now that Your life is done
Looking for Your crown of glory, Your mansion made for one
You think that You will find Your reward after You've disgraced me at every turn?
But have no fear, daughter dear, maybe during this next life You'll learn!"




* Author's note: When God speaks, He always capitalizes the "Y" in You. While You are so busy capitalizing His "G", He wants you to know the "Y".

No comments:

Post a Comment