Friday, January 29, 2010

"I Hate My Job!"... and Other Self-Defeating Thoughts and Comments.


Anyone who has ever worked with me in the past knows one thing about me - I rarely complain about the place that I am employed. I will throw myself into my work and make the best of any situation. The outlook that I have always had has been that if you are unhappy with your present position, instead of spreading a negative cancer throughout the organization, you should quit and make room for someone else who would be happy to replace you.

I believe that this outlook is what has garnered me such success as a business owner. It is those of us who were able to work happily serving others who do the best when we are put in positions of responsibility for ourselves. My positive perception of reality caused me to take ownership over my position in life. It was only by my own doing that I was placed in the jobs that I had taken, therefore it was no one's fault but my own if I was unhappy. No one is forcing you to stay at a place of business that annoys you. The fact that you are still there says more about you than the establishment.

As a business owner, I appreciate the complexities that come along with hiring others to share your vision. You compensate them monetarily, but if they don't have the respect for your craft that you do, and the right attitude, they may not ever be the right fit. I am in a unique position. Most of the people that I employ are people who I have known personally for quite awhile. One steadfast rule that I have in not only my professional life, but also my personal life, is that I do not tolerate negativity or a complaining nature to remain around me. You are known by the company that you keep, and I don't have the time nor the inclination to deal with people who feel helpless in the world.

That's what being negative and always complaining really is, you know. It is an obvious result of a person who feels completely and utterly helpless in their life. Think about it. If you felt empowered and able to make meaningful decisions to impact your life, you wouldn't sit around bitching and complaining about what is happening around you. You would DO SOMETHING to change it.

There are even some people who will do things to try to change their life, but they maintain a self-defeating attitude all the while. As long as you refuse to let go of negativity, it doesn't matter what you do to try to succeed. You will never be happy. Success is not reached at the end of your destination, it is found during the journey towards it.

No comments:

Post a Comment